Love conservative politics? Thinking about a career in advocacy, digital media, or analytics?
Flat Creek’s internship program is a great opportunity to both engage in politics and gain real-world experience in a number of fields including digital advertising, design, social media management, data, analytics, software development and video production.
We are looking for current undergraduate or graduate students who are dedicated, hard-workers with a knack for figuring things out. Adaptability is important to our work. Ever gone from studying for a test to playing intramurals to planning a camping trip all in an afternoon and thought it was the best day ever? It’s like that.
As an intern with Flat Creek, you will work closely with senior staff on digital advertising, social media, marketing research, web content updates, video editing and much more. This is a great opportunity to earn real world experience, boost your resume and earn college credit. The internship is part-time, with flexible schedules. A stipend is available.
We are based in Lafayette, Colorado. Our office is available to use during work hours, or interns may work virtually.
Internships are seasonal, running:
- Fall: September – November (applications due August 15)
- Winter: January – April (applications due November 15)
- Summer: June – August (applications due April 15)
Responsibilities could include:
We do a lot of different things throughout the day, but here are some areas where you will probably be asked to pitch in, based on your career interests and skills:
- Placing digital ad buys and compiling statistics on ad performance.
- Booking guests for media projects, including video interviews, podcasts, and webinars.
- Scheduling, publishing, and creating content including blog posts, social media, and emails.
- Researching and contacting potential contributors to policy-focused news sites.
- Organizing events to promote projects and public policy solutions.
- Supporting video shoots, including setup, camera operation and editing.
- Develop features for a number of data- and social media-centric cloud-based applications.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school degree or equivalent; must be enrolled in an accredited university/college program to receive credit.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Quiet admiration for Microsoft Excel.
- Familiar with web-based applications, such as MailChimp, WordPress, and/or other marketing and publishing solutions. Seriously, there’s going to be days where you’re jumping from one web application to another publishing blog posts, posting Instagram pics, sending email newsletters, updating contacts, creating events… We’ll teach you the specific tools, but it’s good to know yourself and know that you’re comfortable with web applications.
- Self-starting. What does that mean at Flat Creek? It means that you will have a portfolio of responsibilities and when you start your day, no one will be standing over your shoulder making sure you’re doing your work. It’s a small shop and we’re counting on you to step up and help move projects forward.
- Political savvy / interest. A lot of our work is around policy, activism, and politics. It’s a unique world, so we’re looking for someone who understands that pressure and environment.
About Flat Creek
Flat Creek is a unique digital company that creates products to support center-right causes. Our projects include Datrm.in, a CRM application for activism, Thought.buzz (a website for thoughtful commentary on issues), and other technology, content and data-related projects. We also provide strategic leadership and production services to a handful of center-right organizations engaged in policy and activism.
Flat Creek was founded by Allen Fuller in 2005 as one of the first GOP digital agencies in the country. In 2013, Allen sold Flat Creek’s book of business to a larger, global digital agency. Since that time he has worked independently on targeted, strategic projects and is in the process of relaunching Flat Creek to focus on building brands and products to help America regain its footing as a home to innovators, adventure-seekers, and freedom lovers.
How to Apply
If you have an interest in politics and want to prepare for a career in advocacy, communications or technology, let’s talk! Apply by submitting a resume, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.